Tuesday, 21 February 2017 2:14 PM
2017 Australian Training Awards
Since 1994, the Australian Training Awards have recognised the outstanding achievements of apprentices, trainees, vocational students, training practitioners, businesses, secondary schools and registered training organisations for their contribution to skilling Australia.
In 2016, WPC Group was named Australia’s best Australian Apprenticeships – Employer.
“As a community enterprise, we have seen how our work can change the game for students and young job seekers, creating clear pathways to a promising career and a stable economic future,” said Andrew Sezonov, General Manager, WPC Group.
“The great thing about the Australian Training Awards is that they highlight the myth that vocational training only leads to boring, low-status, low paid jobs. Too many people put off pursuing what they really want in a career because they’ve fallen prey to the popular idea that it’s University or bust. In many cases, the problem isn’t a lack of opportunity, it’s a lack of information about all the amazing opportunities that do exist. Young people need to know their dream job is probably out there waiting for them; all they have to do is choose the right path towards it. And the VET sector is a great way to help them do that,” said Andrew.
Of the 18 categories presented, a majority of the awards are the culmination of state and territory training awards programs with winners from each state and territory eligible to compete at the national level in aligned categories. There are also seven award categories available by entering directly to the Australian Training Awards. Applicants may have the opportunity to reach the national stage in November this year and gain Australia-wide recognition for the work they do.
The 2017 Australian Training Awards are open for application now and include:
• Lifetime Achievement Award*
• National Achievement Award*
• Excellence in Language, Literacy and Numeracy Practice Award*
• Australian School-based Apprentice of the Year Award
• Vocational Student of the Year Award
• Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Student of the Year Award
• Australian Apprentice (Trainee) of the Year Award
• Australian Apprentice of the Year Award
• VET Teacher/Trainer of the Year Award
• Small Employer of the Year Award*
• Australian Apprenticeships – Employer Award*
• Medium Employer of the Year Award
• Large Employer of the Year Award
• Industry Collaboration Award
Registered Training Organisation
• School Pathways to VET Award*
• International Training Provider of the Year Award*
• Small Training Provider of the Year Award
• Large Training Provider of the Year Award
*Applications for this category are made directly to the Australian Training Awards. Entries close Wednesday 31 May 2017.
Application deadlines for all other awards differ state by state.
For more information, visit www.australiantrainingawards.gov.au, email *protected email* or phone 02 6240 9691.
This year the Australian Training Awards will be held in Canberra in November. For real time updates you can find the Australian Training Awards on social media: