Free call 1800 005 355

As an Apprentice you may be entitled to financial assistance provided by the Government, to help you throughout your Apprenticeship. You may be eligible for either the Trade Support Loan or the Living Away from Home allowance.

Trade Support Loan

If you are an Apprentice working in a skills need area you may be eligible for a loan of up to $21,078 to help you cover the costs of living and learning. Things like your rent, bills, tools, work gear, public transport or even the purchase of work vehicle are covered by the loan.

The Trade Support Loan can be flexible to suit your individual needs, with payments made to you every month. You can opt in and out of the loan at any time and it’s completely up to you as to how much you borrow.

Additionally, you will get a 20 per cent discount off your loan when you successfully complete your apprenticeship, and you will only have to start repaying your loan once you are earning a sustainable income of $45,881 per year (as of July 2019).

Click here for more information.

Living Away from Home Allowance (LAFHA)

Don’t let the idea of moving away from home hold you back from your dream job! If you’ve been considering an Apprenticeship, but have hesitated due to location, then the Living Away from Home Allowance is here to support you.

The allowance will provide you with financial assistance if in any case you have to move away from home for the first time to commence or retain your apprenticeship.

The allowance is available to eligible full and part-time Australian Apprentices and Australian School-based Apprentices during the first three years of their training.

Bear in mind, you will not be eligible for the allowance if you have:

  • lodged a claim for Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY; or
  • received rental or accommodation assistance from Centrelink or their employer; or
  • moved away from your parental or legal guardian’s home three months or more before starting your Australian Apprenticeship.

Click here for more information.